South Coast day tour in a small group
The Viking Trail leads us out of Reykjavik towards the prominent agricultural towns of Selfoss and Hvollsvöllur. As we venture further south, the characteristic lowland vistas give way to more mountainous landscapes and soon the ice caps come into view. Glaciers, farmlands and volcanoes await the camera lens on the one side – whilst out to sea, the Westman Islands shimmer seductively on the horizon.
We make a stop at the ever popular Seljalandsfoss where, and if conditions allow, we take a walk behind the waterfall’s curtain before paying a visit to its nearby cousin Gljúfrabúi, found hidden from view in the mountainside. Then it’s back on the road to hunt down yet another of Iceland’s famous waterfalls; this time it’s the impressive Skógarfoss with its dramatic 60-meter fall. Here we will take a moment to savor yet another of Mother Earth’s superb creations before heading in the direction of one of the most visited towns in the country: Vík í Mýrdal. This small coastal village is the only one of its kind in the country, since it has no harbour. From the church, we can take amazing photos of a fantastic panoramic view not only over the village but also the coast beyond.
Having now reached our most Southern point, we about turn and make our way back to the black sand beaches of Reynisfjara where we spend some time exploring and soaking up the atmosphere of these dramatic environs. The sight of the mighty North Atlantic as it crashes onto the black sands makes for a powerful and unforgettable image!
But we are not done yet! Back on the Viking Trail we go, this time taking the coast road and heading towards Sólheimajökull glacier. Having now placed a foot upon the glacier, we return to Reykjavik where you will be able to browse through the photos you have taken all day of the magnificent scenery that this tour offers.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Difficulty: Very easy|
What is included
- Pick-up 30 mins prior to departure, at any location in Reykjavik area
- Minibus ride with free wifi
- Professional tour guide
- Drop-off, back in Reykjavik
- Warm clothes
We at EastWest want to assure you that we are well-prepared and ready to give you a fantastic, rewarding and safe holiday. Therefore, we have put together new procedures:
- Hand sanitiser is provided onboard our vehicles.
- Please do not travel if you feel unwell or are symptomatic before the trip.
- We kindly ask you to use the same seats all day, as much spread out over the minibus as possible.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue or use the inside of your elbow.
- We clean and disinfect all shared contact surfaces in the vehicle several times per day, mostly those that are frequently touched such as door handles, arm rests, buttons for windows and locks, seatbelts... However, wearing gloves is an effective way to minimise the risk of infection.
- Where and when possible, we keep the door opened to promote air flow through the vehicle.